Monday, September 17, 2007

Counseling in Morocco

Now that Nate has joined me I feel much more settled in. It was so strange to be here without him those first two weeks. My job is pretty cool. I have been crazy-busy though. In three weeks I have already seen close to 20 students for mental health counseling on a campus of 1200 students. I have been very surprised by the severity of issues the students are bringing to counseling. It is certainty not the homesickness and relationship stuff I anticipated. In many ways, I could be at any university in the USA - except I would have colleagues and a safety net of national mental health support to refer students to. I am sad to report there has already been one suicide attempt on campus. The pressure here is high for students and there is a stigma about counseling. However, I see parallels with the US. There is still stigma in the US as well, and any religious objection to medication or treatment could be the same with certain sects in the US. So, yes there are challenges, but more with the set up of being the only game in town. I am the only mental health counselor on campus. A psychiatrist comes to campus Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings to prescribe and work with students with severe issues. With this formula I'm sure you can see why I might be busy, but I have been firm that I am not overworking myself. I have been upfront with my supervisor about emergency protocol (and me not being it). Oh and I'm also teaching an interpersonal communication skills class with 20 students and spending two mornings at the joke of the K-12 school - although I am still unclear about what I am supposed to be doing there. Phew!

My weirdest moment so far has been while walking to campus. I was by myself when suddenly I heard a very loud noise. Tearing down a steep embankment to my left were about 20 wild dogs quickly coming my way. Unsure what the hell was going on, I just sort of stood there dumbfounded by what I was seeing. Luckily, they had no interest in me (there has been tell of pacts of wild dogs following women on their runs about town) and took off across a field - very weird.

So Ramadan began on Friday. The campus has completely transformed and is pretty much dead during the daylight hours. From a teaching perspective, imagine students who haven't eaten since 4:00 am and will not be eating until about 6:30 or 7 (my class is at 2:30 pm). Oh yeah, and most likely stayed up until 4:00 am so they could eat before sleeping as much as they can. Now from a mental health perspective, well you have people who are either not taking their psychotropic drugs, or are taking them on an empty stomach. Of course add hunger, no sleep and most-likely no exercise (because they have no energy) to the mix and you have a recipe for breakdowns. Not to mention that this is family time and most of the students live way too far to go home, except on select weekends. This lasts for an entire month. I respect the religious tradition behind it, but from both a teaching and counseling perspective it is a nightmare. Now as a foreigner here during this time, we pretty much are hungry too because it is really taboo to eat or drink in public. On more than one occasion Nate has had to sneak into the men's bathroom to eat a handful of nuts. Stores and restaurants are not open during the day for the most part so it's a whole new set of rules to master just as we settled in. I also really miss going to the faculty lunch room to socialize with other faculty. I think it'll be a tough month. Some foreign faculty are trying to fast to sympathize with their students. You all know how much I love to eat, so I think I would be a mean and angry counselor if I didn't eat all day. So needless to say, I will be sneaking snacks when no one is around.

6 comments:

Michael Faris said...

Sam, I can't convey how much I respect what you're doing. I think I'd probably break down if I had this pressure. :) But you're amazing. And I'm glad you're eating. I wouldn't want to cross your path if you were fasting. ;) It'd be scarier than a pack of wild dogs chasing me. tehe.

Unknown said...

Hola, tus blog mucho gusto, is about as much crappy Espanyol as I'll embarrass myself with. I'm glad you're safe and healthy. I miss you guys already.

Nate, are you turning into the Larry Craig of Moracco.

Shojiwan

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys! What an unfortunate turn of events...here I am moving to Corvallis next weekend and you're in Morocco! Living 2 blks from OSU. Morocco sounds amazing. Rock on...

Anonymous said...

The pics from your trip are awesome. Sorry about your plane fiascos. I got frustarted reading about it. Kick ass apartment, looks like eastern Montana out your window. Missing you guys lots!

Take Care,

Ty

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to tell Nate that eating in the bathroom is not sanitary, a little gross and can get you sick!

Seriously though, I'm so proud of you Sam! A little jealous too! Julie and I love and miss you guys!

B-Samp said...

Enough of these heart-felt comments. You guys are being pussies. Nate, if you want to eat nuts in the middle of town square, you do it. USA, USA! Kidding. Hope you guys are well. Thanks for making it to the wedding. It was probably a pain in the ass, but we appreciate you being there. Hope to see you soon.