Friday, November 2, 2007

Quick Update from Ifrane

There's been quite a bit of silence from our end ... to quell all fears, we were not carted away by Berbers and forced into manual labor. However, we've both been battling various Moroccan bugs intent on destroying our intestines ever since our trip to Marrakech. Some of you may want to blame the sheep's head, but Sam was sick as well. The DAY after we got back from Marrakech, I got a nice head cold complete with a comforting fever that lasted for a few days. Just as I was feeling better the next week, both of us suddenly had gut issues and extended our marital support to the task of keeping the toilet seat warm.

Both of us have now recovered (
more or less). Some pretty big decisions have been made over the past two weeks, the biggest of which involves us leaving Morocco and heading back to the States in December ... however, Sam is going to write more about that topic.

We're heading for Barcelona tomorrow until next Tuesday, so there should be another posting late next week. Here are some stupid pictures I took of some food stuffs that are staples in our Moroccan household.



Yogurt from our Meknes medina yogurt maker
OR
tiny Yawmy containers



Uh, white girl who loves strawberry jelly and speaks Arabic


not a bag of turds ... Tunisian dates


bulk olives with preserved lemon and hot sauce ... you eat the lemon rind as well!


the ever-so-elusive can of oatmeal - it is impossible to find larger quantities of oatmeal, say, in bulk. I don't think anyone here eats oatmeal, so it is imported for foreigners.


liter of sterilized milk, pretty spendy but damn, we're addicted to cereal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam and Nate,

So glad we are coming back (for totally selfish reasons). I can't wait to see you!!! I get first dibs on dinner and wine/coffee.

Hope you are feeling much better. See you soon:)

Michael Faris said...

Howdy,

Those olives look delicious!!!!

Luke told me this morning that you were headed back here. I'm selfishly glad and also glad that you're making decisions that are best for you. I can't wait to see you. Unfortunately, our paths will cross, as Luke and I will be in Frankfurt when you leave.

But come January, I'll be wanting a slice of your time. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wait one second, dude. I told you that we were going to come to Morocco to visit you in January. So if you leave the month prior to that, who am I going to visit? I'm a little disappointed about this, but I'll let it go this time. Maybe you guys can move to Seattle instead of Portland. Sam, you need to write what exactly prompted this decision (besides the intestinal problems, the language barriers and the sexism you encounter on a day to day basis.) Can't wait to see you both. How about another trip to Mt. Bachelor when you get back?